CREATING THE PERFECT MOOD BOARD FOR INTERIOR DESIGN
You’re probably not the only person to have mood boards for your house waiting on Pinterest. Having a mood board gives the right aesthetic about how you want your place to look, so it’s only important to know how to do it right.
Let’s find out what a mood board is and how to create a mood board for interior design which is efficient and useful!
What is a mood board?
The meaning of a mood board is to convey your feelings and ideas about a particular topic.
It is a presentation and collage existing of images, texts, and samples of those ideas. This collage of images shows a collaborative imagination of your goals with that topic and what you want out of it.
A mood board for interior design can help you make decisions you want to take for your living room, your bedroom or any space. You can explore different options and see what fits best.
How to create a mood board for interior design?
Now, there are a lot of ways you can create a mood board for interior design. Mood boards are perfect brainstorming activities and they act as creative canvases for your mind. Interior design aims to create aesthetics, plans to manage houses, bedrooms, etc. And for that mood boards are your safe havens.
Here are a few things that you should add to your checklist when making a mood board for interior design:
- Specific paint options
- Textiles and patterns
- Furniture options
- The amount of space you have
If you’ve ticked these off, you have the perfect mood board for your design! These requirements will make sure you have everything you need for your moodboard.
Ways to create the perfect minimalist interior design mood board
Who doesn’t want a perfect minimalist interior design? The easiest way to achieve that is by making use of different applications and tools.
These are some tools you can use to create just the right mood boards for your bedroom, living room, or your magic room :
Using Pinterest for your mood board:
We assume you’re familiar with Pinterest and its ways. We bet everyone has some boards for tattoos and dream houses already! Pinterest has a very easy system to make boards and see your ideas come together. It gives you an option to name your boards according to your topics and choices.
- Pin your favourites on the mood board. Search for specific things like- pink walls, oak furniture, colour palettes, or anything that you like.
- If you want more information on the piece you have saved and reviewed, Pinterest gives you an option to check that product on their sites.
- Add everything you need, and Pinterest will offer you “more like this” options to see similar designs and spaces.
- It is important to have a full view of the mood board, so choosing the “Go Full Page” option will give you a better perspective.
Exploring mood board ideas with Adobe Illustrator
Adobe is a designer’s favourite choice and also the most proficient. Many designers like to use all the apps of Adobe like Photoshop and Indesign to complement each other. This is your best option if you’re specifically looking for interior mood board ideas!
Bonus: They also have tutorials available!
Here’s how you can do it in three easy steps:
Step 1 – Collect your imagery, create a new file and choose artboard size.
Step 2 – Place your imagery on the artboard and move it around in a form of collage.
Step 3 – Export the file and save it as JPEG and PNG.
Using Procreate for mood boards
Procreate is one of the most advanced illustrating programs for iPad users. It offers a lot of brushes to explore and other features where you can customise your brushes. There are also many graphic tools like drips and airbrushes for more effects. It’s a minimalist interior design mood board or just a living room mood board, procreate has got your back!
- This platform is a blank canvas for your mood board which means you can illustrate by freestyling and importing images to work with.
- The loop tool and options of a lot of layers let you rearrange many elements together.
- To label your mood board templates you can use the text tool as your friend.
Other illustrating apps like AutoDesk, SketchUp, and Infurnia are also equally useful.
Canva for mood board interior design
Everyone has at least used Canva for one project or the other. They have a vast variety of designs that are available for free. You can gain access to several mood board templates that fit your needs. These templates can also be very specific, for example, you can search for “mood boards for bedroom or living room mood boards.“
This is how you can utilise Canva without missing out on anything:
- Choosing “photo collage” and then selecting mood board templates are the two easy steps you need to take and you’re all set up.
- It lets you import images and lets you add their graphic frames and elements.
- Especially for presenting your work, their mood board templates have a lot of options for different spaces.
Bonus tips to keep in mind when creating a mood board
There are some tips that you should consider while using these apps if you want to create the perfect mood boards for interior design.
- Gather all the elements you need in one place including pictures, graphics, videos, font styles etc.
- Keep in mind the things that you cannot change in your space. For example, the position of the bed on your mood board for the bedroom.
- Experiment with layering and arranging different options.
- Keep it consistent with your elements like the colour, fonts, and concept. It is important to stick with your theme.
Now that you’ve earned the universal knowledge on how to create a mood board, you can do this!
How can ISDI help:
If you got to the end of this article and still want to know more about interior design and mood boards then we have something that might be your jam.
ISDI offers various design programs such as Interior Design, Fashion Design, Fashion Communication and Styling, and Strategic Design, Communication Design, Product Design, and Management. Pursuing one of the degree programs, that is, Bachelors in Design (BDes) – 4 year program or Postgraduate In Design (PGDI) – 11 months program. Either of the programs are an alternative for a career in design.
The ISDI campus is located in the business district of Mumbai, the commercial centre of India. ISDI consists of a curriculum that is based on that of the Parsons School of Design, experienced and industry-leading faculty, practical project-based training, all situated in a state-of-the-art campus. ISDI is just the right place for someone looking to start a career in design.
“If you love something, it will work. That’s the only real rule.”